TGIF: Get your Clean On
Posted September 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm
by Danae DeShazer« back to blog main page
It's Friday. [riotous applause and uproarious cheers]
And you know what that means? It's the weekend. Three nights and two full days of time spent the way you'd like to.
Most of the time, I look forward to the weekend (when I'm not involved in a super time-consuming extra curricular activity) because I can catch up on "me" stuff. Things like laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, relaxing, reading, girly stuff, cooking, crafting, DIY, sunshine, and pool time (or beach time).
Although I don't have carpet in my home (tile all the way!), I suspect some of you out there have fluffy fibers on the floors of your house/apartment/studio/bungalow/trailer/
For your TGIF Recipe of the Week, I'm giving you a little kick in your domestic booty: a homemade remedy for cleaning those hard-to-get-clean spots in your carpet!
Spickety-Span Homemade Carpet Cleaner
[from Jennifer Jafarzadeh on RealSimple.com]
There are four "solutions" -- Detergent, Vinegar, Solvent, or Ammonia -- and different "recipes" depending on if you have Synthetic Carpet or Natural Fiber Carpet. Read below for your best bets!
For Synthetic Carpets:
Dip a white cloth into these solutions and apply to the stain. Never pour directly on the carpet!
- Detergent solution: Mix 1/4 teaspoon of a translucent liquid dishwashing detergent, such as Dawn or Joy, into one cup of lukewarm water.
- Vinegar solution: Mix one cup of white vinegar with two cups of water.
- Solvent solution: Use an oil solvent. Or substitute nail-polish remover, such as Cutex Quick & Gentle non-acetone polish remover.
For Natural FIber Carpets:
Place these solutions (except the solvent) in spray bottles and mist them lightly on the stain.
- Detergent solution: Mix one teaspoon of translucent liquid dishwashing detergent, such as Dawn or Joy, into 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Vinegar solution: Mix 1/4 cup of white vinegar with 1/4 cup of water.
- Ammonia solution: Mix one tablespoon of clear household ammonia with 1/2 cup of lukewarm water.
- Solvent solution: Same as for synthetic carpets (see above).
Now you can put these solutions into action, according to Real Simple's super-simple guide. No matter the stain, they've got a suggestion for you!
And if this was like reading a foreign language, no problemo. Supreme Carpet Care is the company you can count on -- they are competent, reliable, and thorough. Before September 30, you can get 5 rooms of carpet cleaned for $99!
Currently 0 Responses
Bulldogs battle Wildcats in wet weather
The East Manatee Bulldogs posted a pair of wins against the Manatee Wildcats Sept. 27, at G.T. Bray Park.
ODA girls remain unbeaten
The Out-of-Door Academy girls swim team continued its undefeated season with a 156-134 victory over Port Charlotte Sept. 30.
Cops Corner: East County
Enjoy this week's edition of Cops Corner.
IN THE KITCHEN - Local Field Trip: Siesta Key Rum
Join chef John Horne on a field trip to the locally owned and operated Siesta Key Rum distillery. Then go in the kitchen at the USF Culinary Innovation Lab as chef Horne prepares a spiced rum cake with rum syrup.
1 Community Cookout
2 3rd annual 'Power of the Girl' Business Breakfast
2 Healthy Skin Care and Wellness with Dr. Brenda Yanofsky
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
2 Center For Sight at University Park Grand Opening & Trunk Show
3:00 pm - 7:00 pm