Skip to main content
News
Approximately 20 firefighters were on scene Wednesday.
Longboat Key Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013 2 years ago

UPDATE: Wiring caused Gulfside Drive fire

Share
by: Robin Hartill Managing Editor

 

 

A fire that destroyed a home and left two family pets dead was caused by wiring to a recessed light fixture just outside the master bedroom, according to an email that Longboat Key Fire Rescue Chief Paul Dezzi sent last night to Town Manager Dave Bullock.

Around 2:30 p.m. yesterday, firefighters responded to a reported fire at 6430 Gulfside Road.

A police report states that occupants Jose and Paola Chichande, who rent the residence, were not home at the time of the fire.

Jose Chichande told police that he was at the beach with his daughter when the fire started and learned about it when a neighbor called him.

Approximately 20 firefighters from Longboat Key, along with West Manatee and Sarasota County fire departments, had the fire under control in 20 minutes.

Dezzi estimated that 85% of the structure was destroyed and that the family also lost its dog and rabbit.

No injuries were reported in the fire.

Contact Robin Hartill at [email protected].

 

Related Stories