Tonight is the big night for area trick-or-treaters, and the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office is reminding children and parents to stay safe.
The Sheriff’s Office issued a list of safety tips to keep in mind in advance of the holiday:
• Adults should always accompany children who are trick-or-treating.
• Try to go out in groups.
• Only go to homes where porch or exterior lights are on.
• Do not go inside anyone's home.
• Be careful when crossing streets and do not cross between parked cars.
• Use sidewalks when available.
• Do not take shortcuts through back yards, alleys or parks.
• Do not eat any treat until a parent or guardian has inspected it.
• Be cautious around pets and other animals.
• Keep costumes short to prevent tripping/falling.
• Wear light-colored costumes or add reflective tape to dark clothing.
• Carry glow sticks or flashlights and attempt to stay in well-lit areas.
• Report suspicious activity to law enforcement immediately.
The Sheriff’s Office also advised residents to keep their doors locked at all times, even if they are out front of their homes distributing candy.
Motorists are advised to use extra caution and stay vigilant for children on the road.
The Sheriff’s Office also recommended attending organized, public events in lieu of walking through unfamiliar neighborhoods.
Contact Nolan Peterson at email@example.com