Red-light cameras will soon be installed at up to 11 of the city’s most dangerous intersections.
City commissioners approved a contract with an Arizona company to place the cameras at those intersections for the payment of $4,750 per month per camera approach, which is one direction of travel at an intersection.
Police say cameras will make Sarasota’s roads safer, and the city is counting on about $400,000 in revenue the first year to help balance the budget.
Offenders will receive $158 tickets.
A site analysis will h be conducted before specific intersections are chosen, but the ones the city is recommending include:
• Fruitville Road and Beneva Road
• Fruitville Road and U.S. 301
• Fruitville Road and Tuttle Avenue
• Fruitville Road and Lockwood Ridge Road
• South Tamiami Trail and Bee Ridge Road
• South Tamiami Trail and Siesta Drive
• South Tamiami Trail and Waldemere Street
• South Tamiami Trail and Bahia Vista Street
• Tuttle Avenue and Bahia Vista Street
• U.S. 301 and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Way
• North Tamiami Trail and University Parkway
Contact Robin Roy at [email protected].