+ Observer wins 20 Local Media Association awards
Local Media Association, made up of 2,000 newspapers in U.S. and Canada, announced the winners of its 2013 Editorial Contest Monday. The Observer Group won a total of 20 awards among eight of its newspapers, making it the third top company winner.
The Longboat Observer won the following awards:
Class A, consisting of non-daily newspapers with under 20,000:
• Best front page (Nancy Schwartz)
• Best headline: “Bringing home bacon”
• Best non-page one layout (Nancy Schwartz)
• Best headline: “Town, county crack open Beer Can dispute” (Robin Hartill)
All circulation categories:
• Best graphic art: “Survey provides details about residents” (Nancy Schwartz)
The Observer Media Group also received second place for best multimedia coverage for Class B, consisting of non-dailies with a circulation over 20,001, for its feature, “The Bridge,” about the history of the Ringling Bridge.