+ Sarasota seeks new hire for finance post
Sarasota city officials have begun their search for a new finance director to replace Chris Lyons, who announced his retirement two weeks ago for health reasons.
The city will post advertisements for the position soon, the second top-post opening that City Manager Tom Barwin will have to fill this fall.
“That is a key position with the city,” said Barwin. “We are already organizing the recruitment effort.”
Because Florida has a specific property-tax structure and financial guidelines, Barwin said candidates who either currently work for a Florida municipality or who have experience working with a Florida municipality would be a good fit for the position.
Lyons was finance director for the past five years, and he helped prepare 23 fiscal year budgets as a city employee. Recently, he led efforts to cut city costs and reform pensions. The tough budget years will continue, as property values stabilize.
Meetings & Agendas
• Meet and Greet with Police Chief candidates — 5:30 to 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5, Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, 777 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
• Coalition of City Neighborhood Association meeting — 9 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 6, 2700 Waldemere St.
• Special City Commission meeting (wayfinding) — 2 to 4 p.m. Monday, Oct. 8, City Hall, City Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• St. Armands BID Board of Directors meeting — 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9, City Hall, Room 109, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• Historic Preservation Board — 3 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9 City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota