+ Bed taxes show record year for tourism
Sarasota County amassed $13.9 million in the 2012 fiscal year (Oct. 1 through Sept. 30) from the levy on short-term rentals.
That amount was the most collected by the Sarasota County Tax Collector’s office since the tax was established, and $2 million more than the year with the next-highest bed tax collections.
Thirty percent of that total, $4.17 million, was collected from businesses on Siesta Key, which also had a record-setting fiscal year.
+ Siesta Chamber seeks board members
The Siesta Key Chamber of Commerce will be accepting applications to fill vacant seats on its board of directors through Nov. 30.
Candidates must be able to meet in the morning on the third Wednesday of each month, and be currently active within the chamber, according to an organization news release. Prior board experience and community involvement are preferred.
The chamber this year took over operations of the Siesta Key Crystal Classic Master Sand Sculpting competition and is involved with various other events. The board also watches Sarasota County government affairs.
Parties interesting in being a candidate for the board of directors should contact Siesta Chamber Executive Director Kevin Cooper by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
+ Siesta bicycle thefts continue this month
At least three Siesta Key residents reported bicycle thefts this month, joining more than five reported thefts last month, according to Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office records.
A majority of the bicycles reported missing were left unlocked in front of Siesta homes or condominiums, said Deputy Jason Murzcek during a Siesta Key Association meeting earlier this month.
Murzcek told SKA members that the trend was expected to pick up as part-time Siesta residents return to the island with their bicycles, and to consider locking any bicycles and keeping them out of public view to avoid thefts.
Meetings & Agendas
• Light Up the Village committee meeting — 9 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 15, CG Designs/Smith Architects office, 5032 Calle Minorga, Siesta Key
• Development Review Committee — 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 15, Conference Room 2, 1001 Sarasota Center Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Planning Commission public hearing — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 15, Administration Building, Commission Chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Commission special meeting — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20, Administration Building, Commission Chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• School Board monthly work session — 10 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20, Landings Administrative Complex, 1980 Landings Blvd., Sarasota