For the past five years, the Longboat Key Historical Society has tossed around its dream list of speakers: Michael Saunders & Co. founder/President Michael Saunders, The Colony Beach & Tennis Resort CEO/Chairman Murf Klauber and developer Tim Field, son of Longboat Key developer Herb Field.
Last month, Saunders spoke to the Historical Society, drawing a crowd of approximately 75 to Whitney Beach Deli and Wines. And at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 22, Klauber and Field will speak at the Historical Society’s first “Elegant Benefit” dinner, which will take place at the Colony. Klauber and Field will speak about Longboat Key’s past, present and future.
According to Historical Society President Tom Mayers, the event should be both fun and educational.
“This is the opportunity to not only hear pioneers, but it should be a festive occasion,” Mayers said.
The event will feature a high-end fish dinner and musical entertainment by pianist/keyboardist Michael Royal. Tickets are $60, half of which is a charitable contribution to the Historical Society. Mayers said that the Historical Society hopes to draw 50 to 75 people to the event. Although there is no deadline for ticket sales, attendees are encouraged to buy their tickets as soon as possible.
Mayers said that the event will provide an opportunity to raise money for the Historical Society’s ongoing expenses (presentations made earlier this year by both Mayers and Saunders were free and open to the public).
Mayers also said the presentation will have the added benefit of a south Key location, which could draw new guests to the Historical Society’s programs.
“This is our attempt to get people at the south end,” he said.
‘Elegant Benefit’ dinner tickets
• The Colony Beach & Tennis Resort, 1620 Gulf of Mexico Drive
• First Bank of Longboat, 5390 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Suite 101
• Longboat Key, Lido Key, St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce, 5570 Gulf of Mexico Drive
• Longboat Key Liquors in Whitney Beach Deli and Wines, 6810 Gulf of Mexico Drive
• Michael Saunders & Co. Longboat Key South office, 440 Gulf of Mexico Drive, and downtown Sarasota office, 1801 Main St.
• Steff’s Stuff, 6828 Gulf of Mexico Drive
Contact Robin Hartill at [email protected].