+ Commission could visit the Key Club
The Longboat Key Town Commission might be taking a field trip.
Islandside resident Shan DiNapoli sent an e-mail to commissioners Feb. 7, inviting them to visit the site where she believes a new hotel proposed for Islandside will negatively impact the views of Sands Point and Lighthouse Point residents.
Commissioner Peter O’Connor declined the invitation, explaining that the town attorney advises against such action because it would be ex-parte communication.
Although town attorney David Persson agreed with O’Connor’s assessment because all evidence must be introduced at the hearings, he said there are limited times when the commission could conduct a site visit.
Persson’s Feb. 8 e-mail prompted Commissioner Gene Jaleski to ask the town attorney “to arrange such a field trip ... in the spirit of complete and thorough examination of the complex questions confronting the commission.”
But the visit can only be done at the direction of the commission and can’t involve conversation between residents and commissioners, or among commissioners.
Jaleski can ask for such a field trip, if he wishes, when the commission reconvenes the Islandside hearing at 9 a.m. Friday, Feb. 12, at Temple Beth Israel, 567 Bay Isles Road.
+ Garbage schedule changes for holiday
There will be no garbage or recycling pickup on Presidents’ Day, Monday, Feb. 15. The alternate pickup day for garbage and recycling will be Feb. 16. Place items by the curb by 7 a.m.
• The Longboat Observer incorrectly reported the Sarasota County Supervisor of Elections’ position on early voting in Longboat Key. The supervisor did not insist, nor was she only willing to conduct early voting on Longboat Key for two weeks. State law requires two weeks of early voting.
• Weldon Frost, who was a speaker at an oil drilling forum hosted by the Longboat Key Public Interest Committee Jan. 28, is not a doctor.
• Due to incorrect information provided to The Longboat Observer, we incorrectly reported that Norma Sluizer was preceded in death by her husband, Allan. Allan Sluizer is still living.
+ Meetings & Agendas
• Zoning Board of Adjustment Meeting — 9:30 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 11, Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road.
• Key Club and Resort Islandside renovation-and-expansion hearing — 9 a.m. Friday, Feb. 12, Temple Beth Israel, 567 Bay Isles Road.
• Planning and Zoning Board Meeting — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 16, Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road.