+ School district preps for enrollment
Parents who wish to send their child to a school other than the one for which they are zoned will have their chance during the Manatee County Public School District’s School Choice enrollment period, which will run Jan. 19 to Feb. 5.
The School Choice Open Enrollment Period is the only time during the year parents can apply to have their child attend another school without citing a specific reason for the move.
Approval of School Choice applications are subject to enrollment and other demographic criteria. Braden River High School will be closed to choice applications for the 2010-2011 school year.
For information or to view an application, visit www.manateeschools.net. Applications also can be picked up at the district’s Parent Information Center, 234 Manatee Ave. E., Bradenton.
+ Second H1N1 vaccines offered
In partnership with Manatee County Public Schools, the Manatee County Health Department is preparing to offer a second dose of the H1N1 flu vaccine to all public elementary-school students ages 10 and under who received the first dose of the vaccine on or before Dec. 20.
Parents or guardians must accompany their child at the time of the vaccination and are being asked to bring their child’s H1N1 vaccination card for verification purposes.
Vaccination clinics will be held from 3:30 to 7 p.m. from Jan. 13 and Feb. 3, at six middle schools.
The schedule is as follows:
• A clinic for children at Abel, Bayshore, Daughtery and Kinnan elementary schools will be held Jan. 13, at Harlee Middle School, 6423 9th St. E., Bradenton.
• A clinic for children at Braden River, McNeal, Tara and Willis elementary schools will be held Jan. 13, at Nolan Middle School, Bradenton.
• A clinic for children at Myakka and Duette elementary schools will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Jan. 21, at Myakka Elementary, Myakka.
• A clinic for children at Anna Maria, Ballard, Miller, Moody, Palma Sola, Prine, Sea Breeze and Stewart elementary schools will be held Jan. 27, at Martha B. King Middle School, Bradenton.
• A clinic for children at Bashaw, Freedom, Gullett, Williams and Witt elementary schools will be held Jan. 27, at Haile Middle School, Bradenton.
• A clinic for Manatee, Orange Ridge-Bullock, Rogers, Rowlett, Samoset and Wakeland elementary schools will be held Feb. 3, at Johnson Middle School, Bradenton.
• A clinic for children at Blackburn, Mills, Palmetto, Palm View and Tillman elementary schools will be held Feb. 3, at Lincoln Middle School, Palmetto.